Friday, March 4, 2011

Friday Nite Video (Eric B and Rakim)

Okay, we had four weeks of love songs. Time to change directions here. Let's start off the month of March with a classic from the one of the smoothest, funkiest rappers of all time. That would be none other then Rakim with his DJ Eric B. These two guys were my rap hero's back in the day! They were the dynamic duo no doubt. Rakim was the lyrical soloist, the master of rhymes. Their debut album was Paid In Full and I remember the first time I heard it. I was at a friendly get together at the home of my good friends Bobby and Angie Hastings, originally from Laurel, Delaware, then residents of the great state of Florida and now back in the state of Delaware. Anyway, I was at their place when another couple of my friends pulled up and said "Ren, get in. You have got to hear this new tape (that's right, cassette tape)". I got in and when this tape started I was blown away. Rakim rapping, Eric scratching, it was incredible. I immediately asked to "borrow" it. No, way! My friends had just bought it and they weren't coming off it that quick. I think it was the next day that I went to buy the tape myself and I remember to this day going to Tunes in Seaford, Delaware and asking the lady for a copy of that tape. They usually kept the new releases behind the counter up on a shelf. "This is a pretty popular tape," she told me. Well, no doubt. I must have listened to that tape a thousand times. It's a wonder it didn't get eaten by my tape player as much as it was in it. I would crank the volume on my pioneer car stereo and my clarion equalizer/power booster. The bass that thumped out of my 120 watts speakers would cause the glass windows to shake. Yes, I was one of those people. But at least when my windows were vibrating they were vibrating from good music! Right? lol. Every song on that tape was good. And me and all my friends could sing along word for word. I even named a dog I had Flykim, a obvious spin on Rakim. He was the dopest dog around! The video I'm showing tonight is song number one on that tape. For the first time listener, by the time this song was over you knew you were in for a special treat. This song set up the whole tape. You fellow rap enthusiasts out there will notice Flavor Flav out there dancing along. That's Flavor Flav from one of my other favorite groups Public Enemy. Also take note of the fat gold chains and the gold rings. You knew they were fly when they were sporting that much gold! And how about the big boom box the one guy has. The bigger the box, the badder you were! Eric B calmly destroys that album he is scratching on, especially at the end. So unfair to fellow DJ's to be that good. I really hope you have your computer hooked up to a good sound system cause it just isn't right to jam out with Eric B and Rakim without lots of volume and bass. Right now I'm half expecting a neighbor to come banging on my door! From 1987, it's I Ain't No Joke. Turn it up and enjoy!y!

No comments:

Post a Comment