Friday, October 1, 2010

Friday Nite Video (Prince-Beautiful Ones)


This week I just gotta go with a video from one of my favorite artist that just happens to also be from one of my favorite movies. The artist is Prince and the movie is Purple Rain. PR came out in 1984 and it was unbelievable. I had been a Prince fan before that and liked all of his earlier stuff. The album before PR was 1999 and it was great. We would listen to that riding around in our cars (on cassette tape of course). We would party like it was 1999 and sing along while pretending WE had a little red corvette BUT when Purple Rain came out it was like nothing we had ever seen. Prince and the Revolution took the world by storm back in 1984. He defined coolness. Girls loved him. Guys wanted to be like him. Every song on that album was a hit. We went to the movie. We knew the words to the songs by heart. That was a magical time then. Prince continued to release albums and with each album he released he seemed to change his image. His follow up movie Under the Cherry Moon was paned by critics but I liked it. Everyone wanted Prince to remain the royal purple one but he refused to be put in that box. Purple Rain was but one of his many musical directions he took and he's still going today. My video pick is my favorite song from Purple Rain. The Beautiful One''s. I don't think I have ever seen a performer put so much emotion into a song as Prince does this one. You can feel the frustration he's feeling. You know he loves her. He just wants to know if she feels the same. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment