Friday, October 15, 2010

Friday Nite Video (Public Enemy-Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos)

Okay peeps, this week we crank it up a little. Unless you've known me for a very long time, most people don't know I like rap music. Love it really. Not so much the stuff out today but REAL rap. Rap from back in the day. I remember when I heard the first rap song ever recorded, Rapper's Delight, by the Sugar Hill Gang. Wow, it was amazing when that came out. A "new" style of music that included talking and rhyming to music. It was a hit and rap music was born! Sugar Hill gang had several my songs to follow up Rappers Delight. Then other rappers started cashing in on this new craze of music. RUN-DMC, LL Cool J, Whodini and others came on the scene and were very successful. Rap was fun, light and rappers loved dissing other rappers. Throw your hands up in the air and that kind of stuff. But then the group Public Enemy come on the scene and these guys were mad! They rapped about serious issues affecting young, mostly black, people of the time. Their songs dealt with social injustices that had been and were still happening at the time. They sang songs that dealt with very political issues. Lead man Chuck D was their voice. Colorful Flavor Flav was like a clown dancing around stage with them, always with a big clock hanging around his neck, asking "What time is it". Their music was featured in Spike Lee's film Do the Right Thing. In the background while Chuck D and Flavor were doing there thing was the S1W's, a group of militant "soldiers". The whole thing just added to a in your face presence these guys had. In 1989 they released It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back. That album brought PE from the back burner to full fledged Rap stars. It sold millions of copies and is still considered one of the most ground breaking rap albums of all time. I know I wore my copy out. Me and my friends knew all the words by heart to all the songs. I had my leather Pubic Enemy Logo necklace I wore. PE was just the bomb! I loved all the songs on that album. They covered so many social ills on it. But I think if I had to pick my favorite one it would be the one I chose for this weeks video of the week, Black Steel In The Hour Of Chaos. Watch it and see what YOU think. PE in the house Boy!!! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment