Friday, November 19, 2010

Friday Nite Video (RFTW-Love You Down)

Hey all. Well, I missed last Friday night as I was battling a bad ear infection and just felt like crap so I thought I'd post tonight what was gonna be last weeks post. The last one I did I talked about the "Power Ballad". All those heavy metal bands of the 80's and early 90's and their one "love song". I thought it would be good to talk about another big genre of music from the 80's known as the "Slow Jam". The slow jams were usually played on the R&B stations at night, after 9:00 O'clock, on what were normally know as "The Quiet Storms" Man, they were brothers and sista's singing about love, lost loves, current loves and just love in general. Nothing was better then dimming the lights, turning on the quiet storm and snuggling up with that special one. The lyrics were sappy, dripping with ohhs and ahhs, moans and groans. They were all good. Rick James, Prince, Luther Vandross, Teena Maria. The list goes on and on. 9 times outta 10 they had a jeri curl but hey, they could still wail out a song. Who's my favorite? I always did and still do love Prince but he's still going strong and I wanted to pick somebody from that era who has passed on (Rick James or Luther) or faded into obscurity. That makes me think of one of my favorite groups from that time, Ready for the World. These guys got beat up by the critics pretty bad for being Prince rip-offs and they did try to copy his look at that time but man could they do a slow song. Maybe we can put some of the more popular performers on here in the weeks to come but tonight it's RFTW night. From 1986 its Ready for the World and their song Love You Down. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment