Friday, July 15, 2011

Friday Nite Video (Van Halen)


Alrighty folks. Time to talk about one of my favorite bands of the 80's. Van Halen. One of the greatest hard rock bands EVER if you ask me. I loved V.H back in the day. They had a sound that was all their own. They rocked out. Eddie Van Halen could absolutely shred a guitar to pieces. I loved them. I drew their logo on everything. I knew all the words to their songs. Hard, cutting edge music. V.H started all the way back in 1972 by brothers Alex and Eddie Van Halen. Two years later they added Michael Anthony for the bass and David Lee Roth as their lead singer. They released their first album in 1978 simply titled Van Halen and it was a big success, containing several now classic V.H songs. Then came Van Halen II and several more album releases after that. But with success comes troubles. Tensions started growing between Roth and Eddie as Roth's in your face antics started frustrating Eddie and the other band members. Each one of them had different ideas for which direction the band should go. Their album 1984 would be their last release before either David Lee left or was fired from the band, depending on who you asked. 1984 also was a album that featured a change of sound for the group as more synthesizers and keyboards were used. Several songs on that album hit the top ten also. I remember I didn't care for the new sound at first but it did grow on you after awhile. After Roth left V.H soon hired on vocalist Sammy Hager and the big debate began. Were you a Roth led V.H fan or were you a Sammy "Van Hager" fan. Me? I was and am Roth all the way. I loved his onstage antics and early V. H music. I personally couldn't stand what the band became with Hager singing and I never had any interest in their music that they made with him. For me, V.H sucked after Diamond Dave left. Recently, the band reunited with Roth and Eddies son replaced Anthony on bass and did a tour. I didn't see them but it was a success and they supposedly have a new album that is soon to be released. We will see I guess. The video I'm showing tonight is from their album 1984 and it became the anthem song from that album. Yes, it features Roth as the lead singer, no Sammy Hager on here from me! It has keyboards AND a great Eddie guitar solo. It's a great song from a great band. From 1984, here's Jump from Van Halen. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment