Friday, May 20, 2011

Friday Nite Video (Simply Minds)

Alright. It's friday night. Sooo that means Friday Nite Video here at Just My Thoughts. Welcome! Tonight I thought I'd feature another cool band from the 80's era, Simple Minds. Not to be confused with that other band Simply Red. Simple Minds were cool. Simply Red? Not bad but Simple Minds blew them away. It's funny but back in the day I actually wore my hair for awhile like the lead singer of Simply Red, Mick Hucknall. He had long curly reddish hair like I did and he liked to grow it long in the front and let it hang down in his face. I thought that was pretty cool back then so I adopted that style for awhile and soon my friends were calling me Simply Ren! Pretty catchy huh? If only I could sing! Now old Mick and his band could certainly croon out a decent song but they were too mushy for me. I was more of a Simple Minds kind of guy. Their songs were more upbeat and rocking then Mick and co. The Minds were from Scotland and they got together way back in 1977. They released a few albums but they hit gold in 1985 (again, another great year lol) when they recorded the single Don't You Forget About Me for the soon to be released movie The Breakfast Club. That single forever cemented Simple Minds as a 80"s icon. The movie was a huge smashing success which carried Simple Minds along with it. You couldn't turn on the radio without hearing the song. They played the video nonstop on music shows and stations (MTV, back when they used to be about music). After that song started to cool down some everybody wanted more of the Minds and their music. They weren't ready to release the album they were working on so they quickly put together a song and released it as a single. And that's the song I wanted to show tonight. I actually liked it better then Don't You Forget About Me. It's a great song and a great video. Simple Minds kept recording and touring but they never reached that plateau that they were on back in 1985. They were on top of the world. Maybe that was their subliminal message they were trying to convey in the video. Their high atop a mountain performing their song looking out over the world. So without further delay, from 1985 its Alive and Kicking by Simple Minds. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment