Friday, December 10, 2010

Friday Nite Video (LL Cool J-I'm Bad)


Tonight's old school pick is from one of my favorite hip-hop and rap artists, LL Cool J. LL was and is one of the "baddest" rappers around. The initials in his name actually mean Ladies Love Cool James. LL got his start way back in 1985 when he released the single I Need A Beat. His big break came later that year with a appearance in the movie Krush Grove, followed by his first album release titled Radio. That album had the singles Rock the Bells and I Can't live Without My Radio. LL's DJ was Cut Creator, who followed him throughout his musical career. LL rapping, Cut Creator scratching. Those were good times! LL also was responsible for the phase of rap where the artists would brag about how good their rapping and rhyming skills were while "dissing" other rappers about how lame they were. LL could definitely walk the talk. LL also made the kangol hat famous as he always had one on when he performed. I would have had one if I wore hats back then. LL was also famous for his fat gold chain that he always would wear, spurring every rapper out after him wear one plus rings and other jewelry. I remember back in 85 or 86 myself and a bunch of friends went to a Rap concert in Salisbury Maryland that had several acts but the main star was LL himself. He was the last rapper to perform and I remember him out there on that stage to this day. Shirt off, kangol and big gold chain on. He brought the roof down that night as he worked that stage showing off his rap superiority. LL's second album he released was in 1987 and was titled Bigger and Deffer. On that album was the first ever love rap song called I Need Love. Remember talking a few weeks back about all the rock groups doing a love song? Well now we had one of the hardest rappers of that time releasing one. There was also the homage song to his DJ titled Go Cut Creator Go on which his D
J just basically scratched a record into oblivion. But, my favorite song off that album was the very first one, I'm Bad. That's the one, in my opinion, where LL just blew every other rapper out there at that time away. He was bad, he knew it and he wanted YOU to know it. We got the message LL. That's my pick for tonight's old school pick. And please, before you listen, hook the stereo speakers up and make show the bass is turned way up! From 1986, I'm Bad. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment