Wednesday, July 7, 2010

kids!

Okay, so when do children go from trusting everything you tell them to knowing it all and we as parent being complete idiots? My fifteen year old really likes to argue. I told him just the other day that he needs to become a lawyer because he was relentless in arguing his point. I really think he could give F. Lee Bailey a run for his money. No joking! One of our typical conversations usually goes something like this; Me, "Son, will you please (fill in the blank here with whatever)"? Son, "why"? Me, "Because I asked you to and I'm the dad" Son, "Yeah well that makes no sense and here's why". Then the counter point begins. Blah, blah, blah, blah. That's when I usually come back with "Don't argue with me, I'm your father, just do it!" Of course that's the line MY father used with me so naturally I have to use that same one. Whatever happened to that little boy who believed anything his father would tell him? He used to love to quiz me asking why does this happen and how does that work. I guess that's just a part of growing up. I remember my parents giving me advice as a teen and me thinking how old fashioned they were. That outdated stuff worked when THEY were teens but it certainly is not like that now I remember thinking to myself. Well surprise, surprise. As we get older and we have kids we start seeing that same pattern. The only thing that keeps me from pulling out whats left of my hair is thinking hey, I was just like that myself not to long ago and I think I turned out okay. And I bet one day not to far down the road MY son will be wondering when did he become such idiot with his son!

No comments:

Post a Comment