Saturday, April 17, 2010

For the first time in my life, I live alone. I'm single. Divorced after twenty years of marriage. Before I was married I lived with my parents so this is all taking a little getting used to. Correction, a LOT of getting used to. All my life everything I have ever done was done with someone else in mind. Growing up there were five of us kids. Save some for your sister. Hurry, your brother is waiting to use that. Dad needs you. Mom said you better do that NOW. Then comes the big wedding day. Then things just continue as you've been trained your whole life for. Work a little harder so we can get the bigger house. Don't go there because we can't afford it. I better do this so the spouse won't get angry and so on and so on. Then the kids arrive and you basically surrender the rest of your days to everyone else EXCEPT yourself. Now don't get me wrong. I love my family dearly and wouldn't trade a minute of any of it (well, maybe the physical abuse at the hands of my two older brothers haha) but you understand what I'm saying? Now, my situation is different then anything I have ever known. Its all new territory. The spouse left. The kids are with her during the time that they are in school. My family members are a thousand miles away. So just imagine going from what most of us have done and known our whole lives to being single and alone. For me, some days are scary. Some days are fun. If I want to see a movie, I go see it. If I don't want to attend a certain event, I don't attend. If there's something I really want, I buy it. On the other hand I gotta make sure the bills are being paid cause its just my income. Get the picture? I think our life is like a book and this is a new chapter. Interesting read. I can't wait to see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment